What's in my Kit Bag? with John Kelly
Written By: SportsShoes
Ultra trail athlete and mountain runner John Kelly joins us for our latest #NoFunStandingStill AT HOME session to guide us through the must-have items in his kit bag, along with key tips for endurance runners.
In 2017 La Sportiva athlete John became the 15th person in history to complete the notoriously brutal Barkley Marathons, an epic 160km challenge set in Frozen Head Park, Tennessee that boasts an almost 100% failure rate. He also currently holds the course record for the UK’s Spine Race, one of Europe’s toughest ultra distance races, taking in 268 miles of bleak and unforgiving Pennine terrain, set in the harshest of winter conditions.
Here John gives us the low down on his key pieces of kit, as well as discussing issues such as injury prevention and blister management, with extra insights into endurance training, physical resilience and motivation.
- Learn the key pieces of kit you need for ultra running
- Learn the importance of choosing the right running shoe for technical terrain and different trail sections
- Tips and advice for ultra distance training and motivation
- Find out about John’s typical training week
- How to manage blisters and deal with other issues that may come up on the trail.
- Tips on managing and adapting your race strategy
SportsShoes.com’s #NoFunStandingStill AT HOME initiative features exclusive advice and workouts from our ambassadors and experts, helping runners and all fitness enthusiasts to stay motivated, fit and active – at home. Tune in via @sportsshoes Instagram for our latest livestreams covering everything you need to know from stretching and mobility to nutrition and motivating playlists.